The Coronavirus pandemic has made teachers all over the world plan how they will approach distance teaching in the event of school closures. Whilst many teachers have been using Google Classroom for a number of years as a tool for this, for others this is proving to be a very steep and fast learning curve. This is where the community of educators on Twitter has shined over the last few days.
Lots of really useful videos, blogs and articles on using Google Classroom for teachers have been shared via twitter. I thought it would be useful to collate them here:
- Google Teacher Centre – a number of videos going through the basics of Google Classroom, from the Google Teacher Center.
- Google Classroom You Tube – a whole series of mini-videos (2-3 mins) looking at the individual features of Google Classroom. From Tom Mullaney.
- Getting started with Google Classroom: Ed Tech made easy – a very accessible 10 minute video covering the basics of Google Classroom.
- The New Google Classroom – Full Tutorial – a slightly longer (16 minute) video tutorial.
- Giving feedback using Google Forms – A really useful blog from Niki Kaiser looking at this useful tool on the Google Suite that can be used with Google Classroom.
- 5 Quick tips on how to use Google classroom – useful article that goes through the basics of Google Classroom.
- A day in the life of lockdown – Great blog written by Freya Odell who teaches in Italy, and has had to get to grips with using Google Classroom.
- Coronavirus: 8 tips from closed international schools. – TES that shares many of the practical challenges that international schools have had to overcome in the wake of Corona Virus
- Virtual Learning Support – Alistair Hamill has put together this very useful guide for teachers who are planning to use Google Classroom.
- Google Classroom Video Tutorials – some video tutorials produced by Martine Ellis.
Other blogs and resources related to distance teaching:
- Remote Learning: Why hasn’t it worked before and what can we do to change that? – really useful blog by Daisy Christodoulou exploring some of the mistakes that are commonly made with remote learning and how to avoid them. Also contains a list of great online learning resources at the end.
- Amazing Educational Resources – list of educational companies who are providing access to free online resources during the Coronavirus crisis.
- 47 Ideas: How to Teach Online – a list of resources for pupils, video sharing software for teachers and resources for teachers from Ross McGill.
- Setting work for a long haul shut-down – Tom Sherrington gives some typically great advice about distance teaching.
- Learning in the time of Corona Virus: Planning distance schooling – blog by Harry Fletcher-Wood exploring some of the issues around distance schooling and how we can plan for them.
- Remote Learning Advice from Eva Moskowitz – an American CEO describes how their schools are preparing for the CV19 pandemic.
- Using Digital Technology to Improve Learning – the EEF Guidance Report summarising the research evidence on digital learning.
- With Schools Closed: Part One and With Schools Closed: Part Two – two very comprehensive blogs by Mark Anderson
- Teaching in the Time of COVID – a blog containing lots of useful links by Robin Macpherson.
- Online Teaching & Learning Resources – another collection of useful links from The Learning Scientists.
Many thanks to all the generous people who have produced/shared these resources. They will be invaluable. If you find any others, please do let me know and I’ll add them. I’ll add more as and when I find them