As now is the time when schools are thinking about their CPD offer for next year, we wanted to let you know about the training we are offering for 2019-20 as a Research School. We have focused on topics that we believe will be high priority for school improvement work. We will be offering a range of different training opportunities:
- 3 Day training programme
- 1 Day workshops
- 1 Day subject specific workshops
- Support packages for NQTs and RQTs.
You can find out more about these at our ‘Training Offer Launch Event’ on 12th September 2019, 5.00pm-6.30pm at Durrington High School. During this evening you will be able to hear about all of our training opportunities as well as being able to discuss more training and support to suit your school improvement priorities. You can reserve your free place/s for this here.
In the meantime though, here is a summary of what we have on offer.
3 Day Training Programmes
- We are delighted that author and pupil premium expert Marc Rowland will be leading our ‘Effective use of the Pupil Premium fund’ training. Marc was Director of the Rosendale Research School in south London and wrote the really popular book ‘An Updated Practical Guide to the Pupil Premium’. He now works full time supporting schools with improving their Pupil Premium provision. Details and booking information for this programme are available here.
- Curriculum is now a key focus for the new OFSTED inspection framework and so is also at the forefront of school leaders’ thinking. To support schools with this we are leading an ‘Evidence Informed Curriculum, Teaching and Assessment’ training programme. This will explore how these three key areas should be aligned and what the research evidence says about them in terms of effective practice. Details and booking information for this programme are available here.
- ‘Improving Behaviour & Attendance’ is key to school improvement. This training programme will explore what the research evidence says about this, including the new EEF behaviour guidance report on this topic. Details and booking information for this programme are available here.
- As we learn more and more from the field of cognitive science about how we learn, we need to ensure that the key messages from this are threading through our teaching. Our ‘Improving Memory & Metacognition’ training programmes will explore these two key areas of learning and how they can be mobilised in the classroom. Details and booking information for this programme are available here.
- Literacy development is incredibly important to our young people, especially those from a disadvantaged background. Unfortunately most strategies employed by schools to address this are not based on research evidence and have limited impact. Our ‘Evidence Informed Approaches to Improving Literacy’ training programme, aimed at secondary teachers, will provide you with a range of strategies to address this. Details and booking information for this programme are available here.
- For primary colleagues, we are offering ‘Improving Literacy in Primary Schools’. Details and booking information are available here.
1 Day Workshops
We are also offering a variety of one day workshops next year:
- If you enjoyed ‘Making every lesson count’ by Shaun Allison & Andy Tharby then this day is for you! During the day we will explore the research evidence behind the six pedagogical principles from the book, and how this can be mobilised in the classroom. Details and booking information are available here.
- The EEF Implementation Guidance Report has become a ‘must-read’ document for school leaders. This ‘Leading Effective Implementation’ one day workshop will explore the main stages of effective implementation. Leaders will then be given the opportunity to produce an implementation plan for an aspect of their school improvement plan. Details and booking information are available here.
- A growing number of schools are realising the importance of appointing a ‘Research Lead’. In ‘Becoming a Research Lead’ we will explore the difference a Research Lead can make to a school; what a Research Lead does; how you can know if you are making a difference. Details and booking information are available here.
- Join us for a ‘Leadership Open Day’ at Durrington High School to hear about, discuss and see how we have focused on improving teaching and learning and CPD by adopting a more evidence informed approach to school improvement. Details and booking information are available here.
We also have a range of one-day workshops focusing on effective and evidence-informed teaching in particular subjects:
Support for NQTs and RQTs
Getting early career teachers off to a flying start is key to the success of our schools. To support you with this, we are offering the following:
- ‘NQT Support & Development Programme’ – 3 twilight sessions spread throughout the year, focusing on the key lessons from research evidence that NQTs need to refine and develop their teaching. Details and booking here.
- For primary NQTs, we are leading a more intense programme – ‘Evidence Informed Support for Primary NQTs: Ks1 and 2’. This consists of 5 half-day sessions throughout the year, focusing on key aspects of planning and teaching. Details and booking here.
- For RQTs (Recently Qualified Teachers – in their 2nd-5th year of teaching, we are offering an ‘RQT Support & Development Programme’ consisting of 3 twilights. Deails and booking here.
And finally, for those who prefer their CPD in bite-size chunks, we are offering a range of twilight sessions throughout the year, running from 4pm-5.30pm. The topics are listed below:
- Running an evidence-informed department
- Improving secondary science
- Building confidence and self motivation
- Improving maths in KS2 and 3
- Improving homework
- Evidence informed revision strategies
- Improving parental engagement
- Unpicking formative and summative assessment
- Improving teacher explanation and modelling
- Improving the progress of high attaining students
- Improving teacher questioning
- Using self-testing to support learning
- Addressing boys underperformance
- Mobilising cognitive load theory
- Getting to grips with feedback
- Explicit vocabulary instruction
Twilights give schools a flexible approach to CPD. Schools can buy individual places on the twilights that suit their improvement priorities. Alternatively, you can buy our twilight package for £250. This allows you to send one member of staff to each twilight session on offer.
Alongside this, if you would like to discuss a more bespoke training programme/event to meet your specific improvement priorities (as a school, MAT or TSA), then please do not hesitate to get in touch – email@example.com .
As always, you can also contact us if you have any questions about our training offer or any other ways in which we can work together to support your school improvement work.
Thanks to everybody we have worked with this year – have a great summer!